Friday, February 11, 2011

Saving the good china

When I was growing up we always had a "formal" living room and a "formal" dining room.  Those special rooms were for guests only.  We had fine gold china too that was for only special occasions.  Funny thing is I remember having people over but I don't ever remember using the formal living room to entertain.  We ate in the formal dining room on Thanksgiving and Christmas and sometimes we used the good china and sometimes it was the every day dishes.

When we moved into the house where we now reside my mom was pretty excited.  I have a "formal living room" she told me and a family room.  We need to go shopping so I can purchase the stuffy furniture where only guests are allowed to sit and we'll keep the old furniture for the family room.  No, the living room is exactly what it is... a living room where the family and friends can sit on the worn but comfortable furniture and my family room became my photo studio.  You know, children these days... especially adult children.... they never listen to their parents.

I have a nice large dining room as well.  My mom suggested we put a table and chairs in the kitchen for the eating area and make sure I put a cover on my dining room table.  It's a rather large table that can hold up to 14 people.  Imagine trying to find a table cloth that large?  You know, I can't imagine covering up my dining room table.  It's a beautiful table with lots of intricate details in the wood.  I know some friends and family were worried with three children it was going to get messed up and it is... with finger paint, various glues that have permanently adhered itself to the wood, various colors of glitter but to me it's a well loved used table.

I had purchase some very nice china from our church's rummage sale for a really cheap price some years ago.  Back in the day it was a pretty nice set too.  It's a place setting for 16 and it's gorgeous with gold trim.  It almost reminded me of the gold china my mom has.  I remember when purchasing it my mom told me I needed to put it up and use it only for when company came over.  Unlike my parents, we have company coming over quite frequently.  Company.  Well I say company but no, we don't have company.  It's more like we have extended family and friends that come over a lot.  I knew I was going to get a lot of use out of my "good china" and I'm not afraid they are going to get broken even though I can no longer buy replacements as Crown Potteries that made the plates went out of business back in 1962 but that's okay.  Unlike my mother's good gold china that sits in her fine china cabinet looking at the empty formal dining room table that no one sits in my good china is being used because I don't want my children to wonder why our family didn't use the good china for us.

5 comments:

LadyG said...

It was the same in my home when I was growing up. But you know what, I use our "fine china" often. I want my children to know and feel that they are important and loved. ;) Kudos to you for using you fine china too!

Lady G~ said...

Guess I forgot to sign in to my blog account. Sorry about that. The comment above is from me. :)

Anonymous said...

I received a set of 6 ironstone plates from a client 2 years ago. They are really old. I used them everyday, I only have two left :(
Between washing them in the sink and the kids handling them, 4 broke. Do I regret not keeping them for good? No. I wouldn't have enjoyed them nearly as much if I had left them in the box they came in and this way the rest of the family enjoyed them too.

Anonymous said...

Bonnie, I think a lot of families grew up using the good china for only special occasions. This always made me feel like I was never good enough to use it! I was afraid to touch it when I WAS allowed to use it because I just KNEW I would break it!!

I love that you use that big table without a tablecloth! I love the glitterspots and glue marks on it, because you will be able to remember the art projects that you engaged in with your family long after they are grown and gone to their own houses. Each chip on the china will represent memories of good times with family, rather than protected days up in a cabinet and out of reach!

Love you girl!

Dana Jones said...

that last comment was me, Dana!